Monday, August 18, 2008

The Lines are Blurred

The lines are blurred these days between right and wrong and humane and cruel and I for one am mad as hell about it. Our government is seriously considering killing the wild mustangs in Nevada. Stupid, unappreciative politicians playing GOD again. Bad enough but expected. An incident happened the other day that just really makes me question how bad it has become. A while back, I told you about the neighbor with the horse that had the big gaping hole in his forehead that I was trying to hold together while the vet stapled it shut. It was the night my hubby Bear was struck by lightening in the same barn. The owner, a woman that we shall call "stupid woman" just so we don't want accidently insult her, refused to give the horse any meds after the incident because she believes only in natural care. The horse should have been put down several times since then and "stupid woman" has refused to do it. When the horse foundered because she trimmed the hooves too short and when it colicked and when it was literally covered in flies that were eating the horses flesh.

The horse died the other day and stupid woman called the neighbor to come help bury it. She believes it died during the night but she wasn't sure. She just knows it was dead when she went out to feed him breakfast at 11:00 am! She was a little busy apparently because she had just given birth to her second daughter in the garage. Yes I said given birth in the garage.

The man with the front end loader showed up and the neighbor stuck around to help. Stupid woman's husband was there so if it were me, I would have left but the neighbor stayed. Stupid woman requested that thee mane and tail be cut off the horse and they complied. Then she wanted them to cut off her beloved companions front legs! Ms. "ALL NATURAL" stupid woman thought that if she gave the front legs to someone for research, it would be helpful in figuring out why the horse foundered. Not neccesary! I can tell her the reason is that she trims her own hooves down to about 2 inches long and not very even at that. Well they complied as she went to take a nap because she was tired. (Giving birth in your garage is apparently really hard work).

The neighbor cut this poor horses front legs off and asked "where is the ice?" No one had any ice. No one considered at any point that the horse had laid out in the heat for several hours and the tissue was too dead to really do any useful research. So now we have a dead horse, two severed legs and stupid woman is taking a nap. Are ya with me so far? Good. Before the horse is buried, stupid woman decides to take her three year old out to say goodbye. As the neighbor recounts the details of this story to me through my husband who knows all too well how stupid stupid woman can be, I am devestated. I had nightmares all weekend.

So now it is monday and I check my messages only to find that one is from Stupid Woman with horse questions. My only thought is this... ask the questions before you mame and torture your horses and leave them standing there for months covered in flies and suffering. Maybe before you have the neighbor cut off his legs and keep them in your yard in 85 degrees for , my guess is, nothing. Taking direction from a crazy woman who gives birth to her children in the garage is never a good idea but calling me for any reason after you do something so incredibly inhumane and pshycotic is just not acceptable. Keep your questions or ask them before the horse actually dies because I have always said that the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked and you have proven me wrong. As for the wild horses in Nevadaa, easy solution really...the ranchers that want them dead so they don't graze on their land, give them a tax incentive to set aside a certain amount of land for grazing and stop playing God with God's creatures. Have the stallions gelded so the numbers stay down and don't let stupid woman anywhere near them.

I think you can guess who the view from my horse is today and you can probably guess that I am really angry. Oh yeah did I mention that one of her questions was about boarding horses at her place? Why on earth doesn't this county have a decent humane agent?

Blessings with a special blessing to the horse with no legs.

No comments: