Saturday, May 31, 2008

America's Horse Magazine

It is 121 feet from my barn to the mailbox and I must say that today was definately worth the trip. I was out brushing Hootie, the buckskin when the dogs alerted me that the mailman had come. The kennel blocks my view so like any horsewoman, I count on the dogs to alert me to anything.

As I am every month at this time, I was pleased to see the latest issue of America's Horse in my box. For those of you that don't have Quarter Horses (and I can't imagine why you wouldn't) it is the AQHA magazine that goes out to all members. To me, the best form of flattery is to be quoted from one of my books. To be quoted in the Sage Remarks section of this publication is something that I used to say I would give hell and half of Georgia for. The first time I actually saw that they decided that something I said was worth repeating, I was so excited that I showed everyone I knew including the horses who were impressed enough to try to eat the issue! The second time, I put the issue with the first one in a box of special things that I keep for Garrett, my grandson. The third time, I just smiled that smile and kept it to myself. Now I can't remember exactly how many times I have been honored with this distinction but today was the best one of them all. Here is why.

When I wrote Tips and Tidbits For The Horse Lover, I was on a deadline and needed just three more pieces of original wisdom to balance out the various categories and came up with the one they quoted at 3 am the morning of my deadline. I was quite proud of it and thought it was appropriate for all horse people whether they are smart enough to own a Quarter Horse or not. It says "You break your nose, you break a window, you break a promise - all of which prove to be a negative experience, so why would you break a horse? A horse is started on a journey of a lifetime of learning. He is your partner and once he is broken, you may never be able to fix him." It is to date, my personal favorite thing I have ever written. So the view from my horse is America's Horse magazine for choosing my little sage remark and priniting it in this months issue. Thanks!

Blessings
Tena

No comments: